When we started Kensington we were the first specialist lender to offer mortgages to people the high street turned down. Over 25 years later, we're the UK's leading specialist mortgage lender still blazing a trail offering people the chance to get a mortgage. Where high street lenders see black and white, we've always used our expertise and manual underwriting capability to see the shades in between. In a market where changing lifestyles mean more people are falling outside the traditional mortgage criteria, it's an approach that can make a real difference to people who want to own a property.
It's what we call the Kensington Difference.
KMC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays Bank UK PLC from 1 March 2023, and the principal activity of the Company is the origination and servicing of mortgage assets. The Company is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority for regulated activities.Overall Purpose of Job
The In–House Solicitor is responsible for providing legal advice to support the business. The scope of the role includes providing advice on (but not limited to) Mortgage Origination and Servicing, Consumer Credit, FCA regulation, Litigation, Complaints, AML legislation, Fraud, Data Protection, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Contracts. The department has a very varied workload, offering the opportunity for candidates with a range of previous experience to contribute and to diversify their skills and knowledge.
THIS ROLE IS A 6 MONTHS FIXED TERM CONTRACTKey Accountabilities
- To deliver a high quality, efficient and "can do" legal service to all aspects of the business, and provide support to the Kensington Legal Team in respect of all legal work affecting the business
- To manage a caseload of disputes/litigation conducted by external solicitors
- To provide commercial and legal input into drafting and negotiating contracts
- To provide legal guidance on individual cases/mortgage applications, standard business documentation, policy, procedures and risk management
- To assist in managing relationships with panel solicitors
- To support the business in its compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements, providing advice and guidance on current and forthcoming changes in legislation, regulation and codes of practice
- To work in collaboration with Compliance, Risk, Financial Crime, Servicing and other colleagues to ensure the consistent delivery of regulatory and legislative standards
- To ensure the Company and other lenders on whose behalf it administers mortgage accounts are adequately protected in disputes and contractual relationships with customers and third parties
- To contribute legal advice to specific projects
- To act with integrity at all times and embrace the philosophy of treating our customers fairly
- A qualified solicitor admitted to practice in England and Wales with at least 1–3 year's post–qualification experience
- Relevant experience in financial services, mortgage lending and/or mortgage litigation (acting for lender) an advantage
- Familiarity with residential conveyancing related land registration processes an advantage
- Experience of drafting/negotiating commercial contracts
- Competency in core legal skills including drafting, negotiation, and advocacy
- The ability to communicate with colleagues at all levels and gain an understanding and appreciation of the context within which the Legal team operates
Our employees are critical to our success. We work hard to ensure that Kensington Mortgages is a great place to work. We recognise the difference it makes to our business when people challenge themselves and take advantage of the development opportunities available so we try and support everyone however we can.
We also recognise the fact that people seek work life balance and continuously develop our benefits offering to create an inclusive and supportive culture where differences that exist between us all are recognised, understood and valued.
We offer a number of benefits which can be found HERE
If you want to make a Difference, apply now.