Monday, December 4, 2023
Summary of Position:
The General Counsel assists the CFO, CEO and Executive team in managing the many and varied legal affairs of the organization. These include continuous evaluation and advocacy of evolving regulatory issues, clearly communicating those issues to clients and prospects, acting as corporate secretary, negotiating client and vendor contracts, insurance matters and employee relations. This position ensures legal compliance regarding mergers and acquisitions activity as well as HIPAA compliance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Lead the Company's interface with industry associations by developing and presenting content on regulatory issues and lobbying efforts
• Key liaison with clients and prospects on regulatory issues
• Work closely with Sales and Account Management to negotiate contracts with suppliers and clients
• Provide counsel and guidance regarding Business Associate Agreements, Non–Disclosure Agreements, employment agreements, and corporate transactions, etc.
• Advise management on healthcare regulations such as privacy, compliance, pricing, HIPAA, etc.
• Advise and update management and the Board of Directors on legal matters affecting the industry
• Craft and review legal strategy in conjunction with outside counsel on matters such as litigation, intellectual property and employment claims
• Establish and maintain key policies such as records retention and code of ethics
• Oversee Compliance Director and the overall compliance department to develop and refine compliance policies and protocols and investigate compliance concerns
• Advise on HR department initiatives, while ensuring compliance and best practices
• Serve as a member of the Executive Leadership team providing legal expertise with business judgment
• Ensure proper corporate governance, including policies, minutes, resolutions, etc.
• Advise on key insurance issues such as cyber security and claims management
• Ensure statutory filings are properly maintained
• Ensure the Company's intellectual property is properly protected
• Partner with Sales, Marketing, Account Management and Operations to travel to client sites and speaking engagements when legal content or counsel is necessary
• Live by and promote Verisma's Core Values
• Juris Doctor degree from accredited law school
• 5+ years of legal practice within the legal department of an organization
• Proficient legal experience in private equity backed companies, financing and M&A
• Extensive experience with healthcare compliance laws
• Experience with corporate governance issues and corporate secretarial duties
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of statutes, rules and regulations pertaining to businesses
• Possesses a strong business sense when providing legal guidance
• Ability to negotiate contracts expeditiously balancing legal protection with commercial advancement
• Proficient understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality
• Natural curiosity and personal drive to find creative solutions to complex problems.
• Demonstrated ability to manage ambiguity and apply problem–solving skills
• Ability to work effectively and independently in high volume & fast–paced environments
• Strong level of patience to resolve issues
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.